Training Our Youth and Ourselves to Save Lives
How can we protect the seniors and immune vulnerable in our lives during the cold and flu season and now the COVID-19 Pandemic? By practicing a few commonsense activities and teaching our youth as well. The side benefit is that we will be all the healthier for it too.
Practice these daily activities:
- Wash your hands frequently and strategically throughout the day with soap and water, especially if you are out and about in public spaces. The temperature of the water doesn’t matter but it’s best if it is a clean stream from a faucet. Wet your hands, turn the water off and lather up, scrubbing the front and back of your hands, between your fingers and under the nails for 20 to 30 seconds total. Rinse and dry with a clean towel or air dry. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are unavailable.
- Distance yourself from those who are sick. Avoid shaking hands. Avoid touching your face in public and before washing hands. If you are sick isolate at home.
- Clean personal and work areas daily.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle of diet, exercise and mental health.
- Remember to laugh and be kind with those around you.
Because of the current COVID-19 crisis we are so familiar with this list we can recite it in our sleep. It’s all we’ve been hearing for weeks. Yet several of these items on the list are considered standard precautions in the health care industry and really should be taught to our youngsters early on. For some of us a cold or flu virus is an uncomfortable inconvenience at worst but for our more vulnerable seniors or immune compromised it is a matter of life or death. Training our youth and ourselves to be socially responsible in this way makes for a better and healthier world to live in for everyone.
Do you need help caring for your senior loved one at home or in a facility? We can help. Locally owned, we have been referring qualified home health care professionals for 22 years. Call VIP America at 772-220-6005 for more information on our home health care in Stuart, and surrounding areas.